EDGE fellow Abdullahi Hussein Ali has recently been recognised by the American Society of Mammalogists for his work on the in Kenya. He has received the 2013 William T. Hornaday award which is awarded to a student who has made a significant contribution to the conservation of mammals and their habitats. Ali has been [...]
The hard work of EDGE Fellow Ali and the plight of the hirola has this week been recognised by the international press as news of the first ever attempt to GPS collar wild hirola in their native range reaches the UK. Over the past thirty years, hirola numbers have plummeted by almost 90 percent, [...]
Following on from Ali’s blog last week… In February 2012, I made a request to Kenya Wildlife Service (KWS) to fit GPS collars on 10 adult (>3 years old) female hirolas. These individuals would come from 10 different herds and the data provided by the GPS collars would enable me to assess a number of demographic [...]
It’s official! The first hirola sanctuary in the world is up and running in Ijara, marking a significant step towards the recovery of arguably the world’s most endangered antelope. The making of this sanctuary has taken nearly two years of planning involving the Kenya Wildlife Service (KWS), the Northern Rangelands Trust (NRT), the Hirola Management [...]
My name is Abdullahi Hussein Ali and I have just started as an EDGE Fellow working on the globally endangered hirola antelope (Beatragus hunteri). This unique antelope is restricted to the Kenya-Somalia border and is one of the most endangered mammals in Africa. The aims of my proposed work as an EDGE Fellow will be [...]
- World Pangolin Day 2013
- Big leap forward in breeding of top EDGE frog
- News: Shark Protection Soars as Understanding Improves.
- First known footage of wild long-eared jerboas
- 1,200 Chinese giant salamanders released into the wild
- World Wildlife Day 2014
- Pangolin update from Vietnam
- Chinese pangolin Conservation in Eastern Himalayas of Nepal
- Make a date with the pangolin
- Introducing EDGE fellow: Karla Pelz Serrano
- Robert Steinmetz: DearTran Quang Phoung, This is a really interes...
- mark: In the article you say the aim of the VIE marking ...
- Jack Stewart: Hi Hannah, Chytrid fungus is now one of the leadi...
- Hannah: I was wondering what the chytrid fungus has to do ...
- Andrew: Hiya! I was wondering what the status of the Hewit...