Ho Kooi Chee
- Project name: Mitigating bycatch of Endangered Elasmobranch species by purse seine vessels in Sabah, Malaysia
- Project site: Sabah state, Malaysia
- EDGE species: Great Hammerhead Shark, Sphyrna mokarran | Smooth Hammerhead Shark, Sphyrna zygaena | Scalloped Hammerhead Shark, Sphyrna lewini | Oceanic Whitetip Shark, Carcharhinus longimanus | Bottlenose Wedgefish, Rhynchobatus australiae
- Active: 2022 - ongoing
Currently a conservation officer with the marine research foundation in Malaysia, Ho Kooi Chee has a BSc from University Malaysia Sabah.
Ho Kooi Chee hopes that the Fellowship will improve her skillsets in conducting scientific research projects, as well as the ability to meet people from various fields of study. Alongside this she would like to broaden her understanding of marine conservation and the tools plus support networks available.
Ho Kooi Chee’s project aims to develop solutions to resolve the issue of bycatch of endangered elasmobranch species in Sabah, Malaysia.
Her objectives are to:
- Develop a database of bycatch events from images captured by electronic monitoring cameras.
- Produce species distribution maps in GIS application and identify important areas for difference species of shark, ray and wedgefish.
- Engage with the Sabah Department of Fisheries on potential management options that address bycatch while taking into account fisher livelihoods.