- Project name: Saving the Critically endangered Mulanje Cedar Tree
- Project site: Mulanje Mountain Biosphere Reserve
- EDGE species: Mulanje Cedar, Windringtonia whytei
- Active: 2023 - ongoing
Ibrahim currently works as a programme manager for the Mulanje Mountain Conservation Trust using his MSc in Tropical Forestry in his role.
Ibrahim hopes that during his Fellowship he will learn various aspects of conservation from research practices and how to integrate social science into his project. Ibrahim is also looking forward to meeting and networking with other young and enthusiastic conservationists to share learning in conservation.
Ibrahim’s project aims to improve availability of information on Mulanje Cedar planted sites and increase conservation awareness on the plight of the species.
His objectives are to:
• Establish the first baseline of Mulanje cedar restoration efforts on Mulanje Mountain
• Assess the survival rate of planted Mulanje Cedar in selected sites on Mulanje Mountain
• Investigate the factors affecting the survival rate of planted Mulanje Cedar in Restoration trials plot on Mulanje Mountain
• Assess the distribution of naturally regenerated Mulanje Cedar in selected site on Mulanje Mountain
• Increase conservation awareness on the plight of Mulanje Cedar in primary and secondary schools.