In Kenya, the Sagalla Caecilian Conservation Project is carrying out habitat rehabilitation through planting of indigenous trees and vetiva grass in Sagalla Hill forest, to reduce soil erosion and increase soil fertility to improve the habitat quality for the Sagalla caecilian (Boulengerula niedeni). The project is also working with locals to help them create livelihoods [...]
North-east India is a poorly understood region only considered to be a ‘gateway’ between the Himalayan and Indo-Burmese biodiversity hotspots, but now researchers are calling for more attention after the recent discovery of a whole new family of amphibians in the area. This result is the culmination of five years of hard labour: from 2006 [...]
To coincide with Leap Day, Amphibian Ark has launched a new international event that is celebrating the successes achieved in amphibian conservation, both in the wild and captivity. The organisation is a branch of the IUCN Amphibian Specialist Group Conservation division, with the target of implementing an Amphibian Conservation Action Plan (ACAP). The focus of [...]
The alternative livelihoods project to secure a future for he Sagalla caecilian never stops… Tree planting The weather has favoured tree planting this month, enabling us to plant 1,200 indigenous seedlings in an area of burnt exotic forest (mainly Eucalyptus). 4,000 seedlings in total will be planted in this area this season. The tree planting [...]
James Mwang’ombe is the project manager for the Sagalla Caecilian (Boulengerula niedeni) conservation project in Kenya. One of the projects activities is the planting of indigenous trees in an effort to rehabilitate the habitats that the sagalle caecilian uses. Here, James gives us an update on how the project is progressing. Tree planting season launched [...]
- World Pangolin Day 2013
- Big leap forward in breeding of top EDGE frog
- News: Shark Protection Soars as Understanding Improves.
- First known footage of wild long-eared jerboas
- 1,200 Chinese giant salamanders released into the wild
- World Wildlife Day 2014
- Pangolin update from Vietnam
- Chinese pangolin Conservation in Eastern Himalayas of Nepal
- Make a date with the pangolin
- Introducing EDGE fellow: Karla Pelz Serrano
- Robert Steinmetz: DearTran Quang Phoung, This is a really interes...
- mark: In the article you say the aim of the VIE marking ...
- Jack Stewart: Hi Hannah, Chytrid fungus is now one of the leadi...
- Hannah: I was wondering what the chytrid fungus has to do ...
- Andrew: Hiya! I was wondering what the status of the Hewit...